Back from Melbourne 09/6

14 Comments

I was originally going to post this image earlier today but the sky decided to give me some crazy light so it had to wait.

Anyway, the four days I spent in Melbourne were great even though it was cold, rainy and windy but I guess that is just typical of Melbourne. I had an amazing shot list all planned out with some of the shots only able to be captured at this time of year due to the angle of the sun but luck would have it and there was no sun which left me with no shot list and no plan of what shoot.
With the lack of sun decided to spend a day out in the Dandenong Ranges in perfect rainforest conditions and some time around the city that was kind of a fail due to bad light, I did manage a couple shots I am happy with.

The image below was taken quite early in the morning in between patchy rain and howling winds. After the rain finally stopped I stepped out of my heated hire car into a very cold and windy 3 degrees, with everything ready to go I set up, took a quick light reading and shot directly down this South Melbourne Jetty. Recently when purchasing film I discovered that bhphotovideo.com had notes on their 220 velvia 50 saying it was discontinued, a real pain for me as I don’t like changing film every four shots. This was a real killer for me in the 3 degrees even though I only had to change film once it was still quite painful on the cold fingers maybe some gloves are in order.

Tagged: , , , , , , , ,

Dylan Fox said on June 9, 2010

love this shot!
so clean and crisp mate!

Darren Tierney said on June 9, 2010

Cheers Dylan
I am thinking of getting this one done for home 75inch float mounted on acrylic should look good.

Beau said on June 10, 2010

Is this the one you were telling me about on the phone the other day?

It’s killer good. Great symmetry, leading lines, and I think the conditions you were given suit the scene. Those curly light poles and the seagull on the left rail also add something a bit extra.

Definitely worth being out there in the 3 degree cold.

Matt Lauder said on June 10, 2010

Yea nice Darren I like it. No need for a crazy sky for this kind of shot. Your lucky doing to the Dandenongs thats on my “Too shoot list” for Victoria. Sir Alfred Nicholson gardens is another nice place especially the Boatshed is a nice classic shot. Look forward to seeing your forest shots.

How did you go at the APPA’s

Andrew Brown said on June 11, 2010

Hi mate, nice shot. Unlucky with the weather, this is how Melbourne used to be but is unusual now.

Darren Tierney said on June 11, 2010

Cheers Beau, I can’t wait to get this one printed up nice and big.

Darren Tierney said on June 11, 2010

Matt, I only managed to shoot the gardens which was nice but I didn’t really have enough time to shoot much of the Dandenongs but will be back down there later in the year.

Didn’t do well at the APPA’s, after watching the judging they are really are looking for a very different style of images which i don’t shoot so probably wont enter again. There were so many great images that were overlooked by the judges but i guess that is just the way it goes.

Darren Tierney said on June 11, 2010

Mr Brown, I was mainly down to see family and have a look at PMA with a little bit of shooting thrown in there so any shots that came out good were a bonus. I am liking the mood in this one so i am happy the weather was average.

Matt Lauder said on June 14, 2010

Bummer… so what kind of image did you see them favor.

Andrew Brown said on June 15, 2010

Yeah, I got the same sort of weather in S.A but most of the images that I got from there were seriously moody so was happy. Yell out if you’re down later in the year, I live up in the Dandenong ranges so could probably show you a few spots.

Darrienne said on June 15, 2010

I’d love to know your answer to Matt’s query – what sort of images did they favour? Heavily photoshopped?

Darren Tierney said on June 16, 2010

Guys there was no real formula they used for the images that scored well. What i noticed that the did favor the very heavily photoshoped images but mainly very dark and gloomy shots. Cityscapes and the duotone images did quite well but only the ones that told a story or really made you think, none of the wow that is awesome i want to go there business

Tony Middleton said on June 24, 2010

Nice clean image Darren – golden warm light isn’t always a necessity for a shot like this to work.

cheers :)

Darren Tierney said on June 25, 2010

Cheers Tone
I think a lot of photographers me included get into the habit of wanting that crazy coloured sunrise/sunset and I have missed a fair few great opportunities to get shots like this because it was overcast and i didn’t want to get out of bed haha anyway i bet its cold down there at the moment